Friday, January 4, 2008

Change of plans

The dog yard...resting athletes.

Well, so much for running a back to back today. We checked on the dogs today, and several of them are sore or dinged up. Booger was off on the last run, looking sore in his front end, though I can't find the culprit. He's not limping or anything...Jodi just felt he was "off" during the run. Sunshine had his tail chomped by Chevy...it looked nasty...but a call to the vet put me at ease and let me know what to do. China, Ahab and Zen are all limping...though again, I can't pinpoint the cause. So, today turned into a rest day. We brought these dogs inside, one-by-one, to work on them. They got Algyval rubdowns, massage, I did some physical therapy work on Zen's & China's shoulders and wrists. Sunshine got the hair trimmed from his tail, cut heal put on the wound, vet wrap lightly over that, and now is enjoying digs inside the garage near the heater. Along with the joint/tissue work, we trimmed nails and foot hair, along with vitamins. Tomorrow, we'll finish up the rest of the race team....doing all the normal stuff, like replacing collars, checking for flexibility (thank you Wes Rau for that AWESOME clinic!)....basic race prep stuff. Then, later in the afternoon, I'll take the team out for a short, 5 mile run around the loop to stretch them out and check for injuries. Jodi and I plan to take another long sled run on Sunday, so I want to make sure no one's seriously injured before we go. Looks like they are all just a bit stiff and sore...same as the musher! Man, do my shoulders and calves ache. You really forget how much you use those muscles when you go on long sled runs. Youch!

Tomorrow also means putting the dog boxes on the truck. So, it's up bright and early to get all this stuff done. Somewhere in there, I need to pack my drop bags, do laundry, clean the house, go back to work and begin a new semester...wow...lots to do before Thursday! Later all!

-Were you a Rogue today?

No comments: